When a member pays via GoCardless, they have the ability to cancel a payment whilst it's in the process of going through the banking system. They can do this via their own Bank, by contacting GoCardless directly or by logging in to their Pay Subs Online account and cancelling their pre-authorisation agreement whilst a payment is in the process of going through the banking system (note, for the latter example, members are presented with a warning that if they cancel their pre-authorisation that this will cancel their payment too if done within 7 days of making payment).
When a payment is cancelled, the following will happen:
- Any administrators set to receive payment notifications (as defined under Admin > Settings) will be emailed to notify them that the payment has been cancelled.
- The cancelled payment will be included in the Cancelled/Failed Transaction Report under Financials > Payment Reports
- The amount will show as outstanding in the members login so they can login and make payment if they wish.
- The amount will show as outstanding in the Payment Reports and the members record.
- The cancelled payment will show in the details of their payment history that appears at the bottom of their record.
Unlike a failed payment, the system will not try and automatically collect a cancelled payment again. It requires the action of the member to make payment or in the scenario where the member is pre-authorised, an administrator can go to the members record, scroll to the bottom of the page to their payment history and click on Details next to the payment description and purge the system to try and collect payment again. You can also carry out this purge action via the Cancelled/Failed Transaction Report by clicking on the red 0.00 next to the payment description. In the pop-up that loads, you'll see the option to select the cancelled payment and purge.
If you don't want to purge the collection of the cancelled payment, you can either:
- Acknowledge the cancelled payment by going to the members record and their payment history (at the bottom of the page), clicking on 'Details' next to the payment description, then checking the tick box next to the cancelled payment and then clicking on the Acknowledge button. This will remove the payment from the Cancelled/Failed Transaction Report.
- Go to Financials > Payment Reports > Cancelled/Failed Transaction Report. Click on the red 0.00 next to the payment description for the member and then select the payment and click the Acknowledge button.
- Delete the payment request by going to the members record, clicking on the View outstanding payments and deleting the payment from their or via the Payment Reports and doing the same there.
One point to note, if the member cancels a payment and then subsequently pre-authorises future payments, the cancelled payment will not be collected automatically. You will need to purge the payment in a way described above.